CPA Select Catastrophic Health Insurance acts like an emergency back-up fund if the expenses from an accident, chronic condition, or critical illness start to pile on - and serves as an excellent “top-up” to your existing health and/or critical illness coverage.
Use CPA Select Catastrophic Health Insurance to help protect your finances from being drained by significant medical costs.
You, your spouse, and your adult children are eligible to apply for coverage and remain covered for life.
An individual who is covered (or applying for coverage) can apply to extend coverage to their dependent children (ages 0 to 20 years old).
All applicants must be covered under a government health plan. Unfortunately, at this time, coverage is not available to members who reside in Quebec or Bermuda.
Includes Prescription Drug Benefit, Homecare and Nursing, Durable Medical Equipment, and Prosthetic Appliance Benefits and Chiropractic and Physiotherapy Benefits - see Benefits Paid section below for details.
This coverage includes the following features, at no additional cost:
- Online Health Resources
You and your family can access the Health Service Navigator®. Managed by a team of professionals — you and your family members can quickly and easily get answers to your medical questions and access to support services
- Portable Coverage
You can take your coverage with you from one job to the next while in Canada — as long as you remain a member of one of the participating bodies.
Coverage for Life
You can keep your coverage regardless of your age or changes in your health — as long as you remain a member of one of the participating bodies.
Coverage for Your Whole Family
You can extend your coverage to your dependent children. For as long as you remain eligible to apply for coverage under the Plan, your adult children (over age 20), whether they reside with you or not, can apply for coverage too. In fact, your adult children can extend coverage, in turn, to their dependent children.
See the CPA Select Catastrophic Health Insurance rates that apply to you, your spouse and dependents.
Premium rates increase as you reach a certain age range
as shown in table below.
You can apply for coverage up to Age 65, rates for Age 65 and beyond are those that will be charged for renewing policies prior to Age 65.
Rates are in effect as of November 1, 2018 and are subject to change.
CPA SELECT CATASTROPHIC HEALTH INSURANCE Monthly Per Person Rates
|Age**||Individual Rate||Couple Rate †|
|21 to 44
|45 to 54
|55 to 59
|60 to 64
|65 to 69***
|70 to 79***
|80 to 89***
|Age**||Rate Per Person|
|0 to 20
**Please note that premiums increase as you reach certain ages, as shown in table.
*** Maximum issue is age 64 years. Rates for age 65 and beyond are those that will be charged for renewing policies issued prior to age 65.
† Rates shown are per person.
Rates are in effect as of November 1, 2018. Rates are subject to change.
When any two adults apply for coverage at the same time, they could save up to 17% per person.
Applies to any two adults (Member, spouse or adult child) who become covered under this Plan at the same time.
Couple rates are per person, according to each person's Age.
Benefit payments are coordinated with payments by your existing insurance, including your government health plan. The total payments you receive will not exceed 100% of the eligible expenses you incur.Prescription Drug Benefit
- Unlimited coverage of up to 100%, after your drug costs exceed $4,500 per Anniversary Year.
- To satisfy the deductible and for reimbursement, covered charges include eligible brand-name or generic drugs and medicines, sera and insulin** (but exclude smoking cessation drugs, fertility drugs, over-the-counter drugs, and drugs that don’t require a prescription).
- Drugs covered by a provincial health plan are not eligible under this plan.
- Up to $25,000 per year when annual costs exceed $7,500 per Anniversary Year.
- Lifetime maximum of $100,000.
- Unlimited coverage of up to 100% for one full benefit year following the date of an accident requiring a 24-hour hospital stay.
Members, spouses and adult children (whether they reside with the Member or not) who apply for CPA Select Catastrophic Health Insurance must be:
- covered under a provincial or territorial government health care plan,
over Age 20 (Age 21 and older),
under 65 years of age, and
residents of Canada.
If you (Member, spouse or adult child) are insured under the Plan (or are applying for coverage), you can also apply to insure your spouse and/or your dependent children for coverage under your policy.
Spouse means a person:
- who is covered under a provincial or territorial government health care plan, and
to whom the insured is legally married or with whom the insured has cohabited in a conjugal relationship for at least 12 consecutive months.
A dependent child is:
- a natural child, adopted child, stepchild, foster child or a child for whom the insured is by law responsible, listed on the application,
unmarried, unemployed and dependent on the insured for financial support, and
under 21 years of age.
An adult child is:
- a natural child, adopted child, or stepchild of the Member who either shares or does not share residence, and
21 years of age or older.